In 2011 theTimothy Smith Network's Board of Directors established the Robert J. Fleming Award to recognize Timothy Smth Centers and individuals who through their leadership and innovation have significantly impacted the Timothy Smith Network and the communities it serves.
The TSN’s receiving a grant through the City of Boston from the Department of Commerce for delivering the Online Learning Readiness (OLLR) program and advanced level training to residents of Boston is a huge milestone. Many, many people were involved in securing this grant but the effort of The Dimock Center and United South End Settlements stand out...
- in “getting” the implications of online learning,
- in the development of OLLR and in insuring its instructional soundness and flexibility,
- in finding creative ways to incorporate technology based instruction into existing programs,
- in developing and testing and proofing exercises and activities,
- in running pilot programs,
- in working through ever changing reporting requirements,
- in pushing back, gently but firmly, when something was unclear or simply wouldn’t work
- in, in, in…the list goes on
Additionally these Centers have “walked the walk” demonstrating an ongoing commitment to the TSN, never saying NO when asked for staff time and other resources and always working to find ways to increase the impact and effectiveness of not only their own organization but also that of all TS Centers.
The Timothy Smith Centers at The Dimock Center and at United South End Setlements received the award on June 23, 2011.